By David Rogers. TAYLORSVILLE, N.C. — Sixty-nine high school golfers were entered into the NCHSAA 4A West Men’s Golf Regional on May 8, at Brushy Mountain Golf Club. Only nine advanced to the May 15 state championship event at historic Pinehurst — and Watauga senior Colin Phelps is one of them after carding a 76, tying for fifth place on the day.
The nine qualifiers from the NCHSAA 4A West Regionals are:
- T1 – (Score: 71) Jude Carper (Soph.), Hough HS (Hometown: Huntersville)
- T1 – (71) Colin Salema (Jr.), Providence HS (Charlotte)
- 3 – (75) Aidan Klause (Sr.), Charlotte Catholic HS (Charlotte)
- 4 – (75) Corey Thomas (Sr.), Hough HS (Cornelius)
- T5 – (76) Colin Phelps (Sr.), Watauga HS (Boone)
- T5 – (76) Henry Wilder (Jr.), T C Roberson HS (Arden)
- T5 – (76) Jacob Koch (Sr.), Providence HS (Charlotte)
- T8 – (77) Aidan Hollar (Jr.), Alexander Central HS (Taylorsville)
- T8 – (77) Mac Helton (Sr.), South Caldwell HS (Granite Falls)
Charlotte Catholic took top team honors, followed by Ardrey Kell and Myers Park.
According to the NCHSAA, 21 golfers advance to the state championship tournament from each regional. The top three teams automatically qualify with their best four scores. The next determining factor: the top nine players NOT in the top four of the top three teams. If a school does not finish in the top 3 teams but qualifies at least four individuals, that school will compete at the state championship as a team. A qualifying team could still qualify a fifth individual if that player finishes in the top nine, individually.
The North Carolina State Championship will be played on May 15, on the Pinehurst No. 8 course.
Phelps was the highest placing individual among competing golfers from the other two 4A schools in the Northwestern Conference, Alexander Central and South Caldwell.