By David Rogers. BOONE, N.C. — A final night of regular season basketball games among Watauga County’s middle schools did nothing to change the standings at the top of the Girls Division and left a three-way tie for first place in the Boys Division.
The undefeated Parkway girls managed to get past Mabel, 15-14, to remain in full control of the regular season championship. With the loss, Mabel settled into fourth place second place Bethel and third place Blowing Rock.
While Blowing Rock faced only a small challenge in defeating Valle Crucis, 24-10, Bethel jumped past Green Valley, 21-7 and Cove Creek edged Hardin Park, 19-15.
In the Boys Division, Hardin Park, Parkway and Blowing Rock all won and remained tied atop the standings at 6-1, all with 1-1 records in head-to-head play. Blowing Rock defeated Valle Crucis decisively, 42-23, while Hardin Park was able to prevail over Cove Creek, 35-17, and Parkway swamped Mabel, 46-10. In the remaining middle school boys game, Green Valley doubled up on Bethel, 47-20.
Watauga Middle School commissioner Andy Eggers explained how the ties in the standings were settled as the teams start the post-season tournament’s first round play on Wednesday (Girls Division) and Thursday (Boys Division).
“In the girls standings, we had two ties,” said Eggers. “Green Valley and Cove Creek tied for 5th place. Green Valley won the tie breaker as they won the head to head match up with Cove Creek. Valle Crucis and Hardin Park also tied, for 7th place. Valle Crucis won the tie breaker as they won the head to head match up.
In the boy’s standings, Hardin Park, Parkway and Blowing Rock all tied for first place,” Eggers added. “Each team finished with a 1-1 record against the teams they tied with. None of the teams lost another game. So the final tiebreaker under the North Carolina High School Athletic Association (NCHSAA) model is a draw from the hat. The draw was held tonight. Hardin Park drew the No. 1 seed, Blowing Rock the No. 2 seed and Parkway the No. 3 seed.”
FINAL REGULAR SEASON GIRLS DIVISION STANDINGS
- 1. Parkway (7-0)
- 2. Bethel (6-1)
- 3. Blowing Rock (5-2)
- 4. Mabel (4-3)
- T5. Green Valley (2-5) (One of Green Valley’s wins was against Cove Creek, so awarded tiebreaker)
- T5. Cove Creek (2-5)
- T7. Valle Crucis (1-6) (Valle Crucis win was against Hardin Park, so awarded tiebreaker)
- T7. Hardin Park (1-6)
FINAL REGULAR SEASON BOYS DIVISION STANDINGS
- T1. Hardin Park (6-1, lost to Parkway, defeated Blowing Rock. Gets No. 1 seed by draw from a hat)
- T1. Blowing Rock (6-1, lost to Hardin Park, defeated Parkway. Gets No. 2 seed by draw from a hat)
- T1. Parkway (6-1, lost to Blowing Rock, defeated Hardin Park. Gets No. 3 seed by draw from a hat)
- 4. Cove Creek (4-3)
- 5. Green Valley (3-4)
- 6. Bethel (2-5)
- 7. Valle Crucis (1-6)
- 8. Mabel (0-7)
GIRLS DIVISION FIRST ROUND GAMES (Wednesday, Dec. 7, 4 p.m.)
- No. 8 Hardin Park @ No. 1 Parkway
- No. 5 Green Valley @ No. 4 Mabel
- No. 6 Cove Creek @ No. 3 Blowing Rock
- No. 7 Valle Crucis @ No. 2 Bethel
BOYS DIVISION FIRST ROUND GAMES (Thursday, Dec. 8, 4 p.m.)
- No. 8 Mabel @ No. 1 Hardin Park
- No. 5 Green Valley @ No. 4 Cove Creek
- No. 6 Bethel @ No. 3 Parkway
- No. 7 Valle Crucis @ No. 2 Blowing Rock