By David Rogers. BOONE, N.C. — Scoring two runs in the 1st inning and four more in the 2nd was not quite enough for the Blue Jays in Game 1 of a doubleheader vs. the Cardinals on May 23. The Cardinals rallied with seven runs in the last three innings while silencing the Blue Jays’ bats after the first two frames to win, 7-6.
The Blue Jays got their comeuppance in the nightcap, rolling over the Cardinals, 6-1, in Game 2.
Game 1 Notes: Cardinals win, 7-6
- The Blue Jays were issued 11 walks in Game 1. Two of those walks were to Everett Gryder, one intentionally
- The Blues Jays stole five bases, including four by Kwame Carter
- The Cardinals’ pitchers had better control than in previous outings, with only two passed balls
- The Cardinals scored all of their seven runs in the last three innings. Micah Tooley and Ryland Brinker each scored two runs over that period, both getting on base by walks, fielding errors by the Blue Jays or, in the case of Brinker, being hit by a pitch.
- The Blue Jays’ pitchers had some control problems, with five passed balls, three walks and two hit by pitcher.
- The Cardinals’ base runners recorded seven stolen bases, including two by Garrett Mcintuff.
Game 2 Notes: Blue Jays win, 6-1
- Pitching for the Blue Jays, Everett Gryder was effective, striking out the side in both the first and second innings.
- Blue Jay pitchers recorded 14 strikeouts in holding the Cardinals to one run, that by Cardinal first baseman Garrett Mcintuff after walking, stealing second, advancing to third base on a passed ball, then racing home on an error by the catcher.
- The Cardinals’ Coy Johnson smashed a triple in the 5th inning, but the Cardinals were unable to bring him home.
- The Cardinals’ pitchers only issued three walks to the Blue Jays but the latter took advantage of five passed balls.
- The Blue Jays also tallied seven stolen bases.
- The Blue Jays’ shortstop, Jonathan Boubolis ripped two doubles, in the first and third innings.
- Kwame Carter hit a pair of singles and stole two bases to go along with his two runs scored.